Sunday 17 May 2009

MP's Expenses

The ongoing row over MP’s expenses does nothing for the reputation of politicians of whatever party and unfortunately at every level. It is unfortunate that, yet again, a small minority of politicians have given the vast majority a bad name. I have a very simple solution – MP’s should be bound by the same rules as local politicians and by the standards that they insist (rightly) that we should abide by. At the County Council (and at District level) our allowances and any expenses we claim are a matter of public record and are published annually. Anyone can ask and be told what I have claimed for travel or subsistence. And as last year, once the figures are available, I will publish my own expenses on my blog. You can be assured that they do not include the now infamous bathplug, or horse manure!

No comments: