Monday 6 October 2008

Swingers Club

I had thought - well hoped - that with the refusal of the planning application we had heard the last of the swingers' club, but apparently not. I hard on Friday that the owners have submitted an appeal. My position remains as before - what people choose to do in their private life is up to them, but not when it impacts in a negative way on other people - in this case neighbours of the Industrial Estate. I shall be submitting comments to the Inspectorate, pointing out that it has been claimed that people are driving from as far away as Derbyshire and that the route to the club will take them through the village, often late at night and that this is an unacceptable intrusion.

We will see what happens and I will keep you posted

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a resident of Over, I remember the things that attracted me to the village when I bought my property here. It was beautiful sunny day, peaceful. The church bells were just finishing their 3 o'clock chime, giving way to bird song. The village had previously won village of the year and I was impressed. It was very different to the hustle and bustle of town, and very inviting.

Now we have a Swinger's club, with playrooms! where like-minded people go to have a quicky! That's about the size of it.

I don't mind what people do in their private lives as long as it doesn't effect me. I live in Over, the club is in Over and now Over is associated with a Swinger's Club. The club is Over Swinger's Club, isn't it?

So what does that do to the image of our village?

Our children, our parents, our grandparents will all have questions. Visitors, home-buyers, work colleagues have questions too.

I find the club to be intrusive and I know of plenty of other people who feel the same.

It's not about the people who go there. It's about what they go there for, and they aren't coming to Over just for a bit of company, are they?

As for the reason for not having a Swingers Club here, I don't think the additional traffic is as much of a concern for citizens of Over as the culture of visitors to Over is. These visitors are funding a business that offers a place, in return for their money, for people to do their thing. It is one step away from being a brothel, and they are punters.

Anonymous said...

...actually it is about the people who go there. Without them, there wouldn't be a Swingers Club.